Vinicius Aloia is a corporate commercial lawyer specialized in the space sector, with years of experience in the satellite and space industry, and intergovernmental organizations. Vinicius holds two degrees from the International Space University (ISP20 and SSP21), a Master of International and Comparative Law, International Business Law focused on commercial uses of outer space from the University of Helsinki, and a Bachelor of Laws from the Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo, Brazil.
Vinicius is an individual member of the International Institute of Space Law (IISL), a member of the European Centre for Space Law (ECSL), and the director of International Cooperation of the Space Law and Policy Research Group at the Catholic University of Santos. Vinicius attended the ECSL Summer Course on Space Law and Policy in 2018 and worked as a trainee in the Member States Relations and Partnerships Office of the European Space Agency.
Vinicius is the faculty advisor to the Catholic University of Santos’ team for the Latin American Rounds of the Manfred Lachs Moot Court Competition, an invited member of the Commission on Space Law of the Brazilian Bar Association (Santos), and a full member of the Brazilian Bar Association.
Vinicius is author of international publications and presentations on topics related to space law and policy and commercialization of space activities, including national space legislation, exploration and use of space resources, long-term sustainability of outer space activities, on-orbit servicing and active debris removal, and export control and sanctions.
Theses & Dissertations
- ALOIA, Vinicius, Doing business in Space: The Framework for Commercial Space Activities and the Legal and Regulatory Challenges faced by the Commercial Space Sector: A Nordic Perspective, Master’s Thesis, University of Helsinki, Faculty of Law (2020)
Articles & Other Publications
- ALOIA, Vinicius et. al, “Utilizing space-enabled capabilities for the mitigation of COVID-19 and future pandemics”, in The role of space during pandemics, Illkirch-Graffenstaden (France): International Space University (2020)
- ALOIA, Vinicius, “The Sustainability of Large Satellite Constellations: Challenges for Space Law”, in Legal Aspects Around Satellite Constellations (eds. Froehlich, A.), Studies in Space Policy, vol. 19, Springer (2019)
- ALOIA, Vinicius & BHATTACHARYA, Ananyo, “Large Satellite Constellations and the Orbital Debris Environment”, Commercial Space Project Group, in Space Generation Advisory Council Newsletter (Dec 2018)
- The Hague International Space Resources Governance Working Group (tradução para português), The Hague International Space Resources Governance Working Group – Transl. BITTENCOURT NETO, Olavo; ALOIA, Vinicius; FRAZÃO, João Nuno (Nov 2019)